Friday, September 03, 2010

SUPPORT LETTER

THE START... Last fall I was convicted to put forth might and mane into becoming debt-free. I moved out of my apartment and in with a friend, cutting my cost of living in half. I knew this would open a lot more doors for me but wasn’t sure exactly where it was leading.


Fast-forward to January of this year. As I was exercising one evening, I was praying about where my life was headed. I knew I wasn’t intended to be handling claims for the rest of my life. I felt called to utilize my artistic talents and love for kids to work with developing countries and underprivileged children but really had no idea where to start. I thought through what the first step might look like and knew I needed to get some form of training before walking blindly into a developing country.



WHY AUSTRALIA... It became clear I was to start my training in the “land down under” after praying about it. Australia was the choice for a lot of reasons.

-When I prayed I felt like God wanted me there.

-It will get me out of my cultural comfort zone and they speak English (well, sort of). I, unfortunately, do not know any other language well enough to effectively take courses in anything but English.

-While researching, I found out only about 4% of Australians are followers of Christ. In fact, for a warm-culture, they have a very high suicide rate. I’m excited to get to know and love people who may not have hope right now. I have been convicted to be more intentional in my relationships since experiencing someone committing suicide in college.

-I know many people who have lived there. All will attest to how much they love Australians! All Aussies I know are fantastic, fun-loving people. Who wouldn’t want to be around a culture like that?



WHAT I’LL BE DOING… After a lot of prayer, research, and contacting many organizations, I decided on Youth With a Mission. The plan is to attend their Discipleship Training School in January 2011 in Townsville, Queensland.

This school focuses on our personal relationships with God, along with outreach and missions. It is about 6 months long.

We will have the opportunity to travel into the Outback to work with indigenous groups, as well as, travel to Southeast Asia for a 4-6 week long missions trip. In doing this, I will be better equipped and educated for a much more long-term life of missions.



WHAT IT WILL TAKE… A year ago, God put Proverbs 31:8-9 on my heart as a mission statement for my life. "Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all the unfortunate.... and defend the rights of the afflicted and needy." There is no denying this is a commitment. It won’t always be easy. All “romantic” ideas of missions were swept away on my recent trip to Nicaragua. It is hard work; it is hard to be in a new culture; it is hard to be away from the familiar; it is hard to see a level of suffering and sometimes injustice most of us will never understand.

More than anything, I need your support through prayer. We were created for community. I will need my community in Boise and around the world to love on me, encourage me, and pray for me. If you have received this letter, it is because I hold you in esteem and want you to be a part of my journey. You can follow this adventure on my blog http://huskerfoley7.blogspot.com/. But, most of all, pray for me.

Finally, this adventure and training will take money. The good news is, God provides no matter what. I’ve seen Him provide time and time again in my life. I am blessed in knowing this and hope you can be a part of this blessing.

If you have any questions on how much is needed or where the money will be going, please check out my blog.



With Love,

Erin Foley

Isaiah 43:1: …“Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine…”

2 comments:

Laura Thulesen said...

Erin,
I posted a comment after yours in my own blog but wasn't sure you'd subscribed to replies so found you here too. :) Cool that you are headed in a whole new direction with your life, following where God's leading you! So you take off in January, huh? Very cool. I'm sure you'll love your outback time and SE Asia too. I have friends in both places serving as missionaries so let me know specifics and maybe you'll be in the same area as one of them!

You asked about following my blog. Well there's 2 ways to do it:
1. on your Dashboard page where it shows "blogs I'm reading" there's a place to "Add" so you can click there and put mine in.
2. I added a "Followers" thing to my sidebar on my blog so you can scroll to that and click on the icon to follow it (scroll to below the pics of my team).

Drop me an e-mail anytime if you want! My e-mail address is on my blogsite. Love to chat with you more about missions or answer any questions or concerns or whatever. God bless!

Rhoni said...

Awesome. I have your blog bookmarked.